Sunday May 7th was the Go the Distance Walk and Family Fun Day to raise money for Maria Fareri Children’s Hospital. Although it was a bit chilly, we were so happy that it didn’t rain like it did last year!
Maria Fareri Children’s Hospital is a member of the larger Westchester Medical Center. They are a pediatric hospital committed to providing the most advanced care available to more than 20,000 critically ill infants and children each year. It’s the embodied vision of hundreds of parents, medical professionals and community leaders who had a fervent desire to create a “family-centered” children’s hospital where parents are not visitors but partners, and where the unique creative surroundings are an integral part of the healing process. They have that down pat!
What makes Maria Fareri Children’s Hospital so unique?
- The region’s only intensive care unit design specifically for pediatric care
- A state-of-the-art, Level IV (most sophisticated) Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), the only one in the region and WHY WE LOVE IT!
- Private in-patient rooms with bathrooms, showers and parent sleeping areas
- Pre-school, elementary and teen-aged activity rooms.
- The Ronald McDonald House of the Greater Hudson Valley is conveniently located just steps away from Maria Fareri Children’s Hospital.
- A Family Resource Center with a library that serves as a respite area for parents and families as well as a portal to health and other information via Web-accessible computers
- A unique lobby providing visual diversions for children and families, including the world’s largest doll-house, a New York baseball museum, a performing arts stage and a walk-through aquarium.
- Age-specific “neighborhoods,” each with its own theme, décor, and snack center
- Child Life and Creative Arts Therapy programs that utilize multiple playrooms and an art studio, as well as art and music therapy programs.
That’s why we walk and that’s where the donations go!
Team From Hope to Joy had a Superstar Tent and a pretty good turnout. Unfortunately the walk fell on the same day as family Communion, so we had a few less people than normal, but that didn’t stop us!
The walkers were treated to bagels, donuts, granola bars, water, juice and coffee both before and after the walk.
There was a huge bubble truck cranking out bubbles for the kids to run through and pop; two bounce houses, and a tent with games with prizes!
Also, there were a few princesses and Star Wars characters walking around for photo ops.
Many members of Westchester’s Iowa Style Wrestling club showed up to walk with our team and support the hospital. Thanks guys!
Team From Hope to Joy raised over $4500 for the hospital and we hope to continue to support them at the walk each and every year. Visit our team page by clicking HERE.
We were the #5 on the Top Teams list. Check it out HERE:
It just so happens that May 7th was also Parents of Preemies Day- a day started by Graham’s Foundation to show support for the parents who love and nurture the premature babies of the world. You can read more about Parents of Preemie’s Day by clicking HERE.
Click HERE to read about and see some pictures of last year’s walk.
You can still donate for another week or so by clicking on our Team Page.
Thanks for your support and we hope to see you at the 2018 Go the Distance Walk and Family Fun Day.